[lojban-beginners] Re: fu'ivla for animals

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, [iso-8859-1] Álvaro Vallejo wrote:

> coi,
>
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:29:44PM +0100, Philip Newton wrote:
> >> I think most of the words [for animals] will surely be fu'ivla
>
> fu'ivla is not totally clear for me. If we want to nominate animals, from
> what language are we going to loan words?
> Why can not these names be constructed as lujvo?

We tend to think of lujvo as representing concepts. But what's the concept
of a zebra? Should we simply describe it as a striped horse? But maybe a
horse is an unstriped zebra. What about molds and viruses and those stalky
things that grow on the ocean floor near volcanic vents?

So we've taken to using type-3 fu'ivla for creatures, and somewhere on the
wiki certain hard-working people have been compiling great lists of them.
I believe they've been using Latin as the source language.

--
Seventy-two city councils, including Philadelphia,
Austin, Chicago, Baltimore and Cleveland have