Re: Some things about lojban

Hello folks,
    I just read the comments by Yary Richard Phillip Hluchan
and I want to add to it.  I have not read much of anything on
the new grammar, but my comments are based on content of that
letter, my knowledge of computer science, and common sense.

    I have heard from many sources that "most people have a
short-term memory of about seven items," which seems to fit
my observations.  But it was pointed out to me that various
context maintenance and background processing chew up some of
the seven, and it is best for understanding if a paper is
limited to only three ideas in discussion at any point.  If
the three discussion ideas are independent of the parsing
of the English, then there are only four left and using them
all for routine parsing would be cutting it close.  If prefix
notation will free up the variables through chunking (or any
other ploy), then that has to be superior.

    On the subject of machine use of the language, I have two
points.  First, computers are there to serve people, to off
load us of work.  We now write programs in higher level languages,
not because it is any easier for the computer to understand,
but inspite of the extra work the computer has to do, because
it is more productive for us.  Machines are getting faster
and more powerful, and have been for longer than Loglan has been
around.  The only time it makes sense to bias the decisions for
the computer's ease is when the savings is in orders of magnitude.
A 40% reduction in effort for computer manipulation translates into
only a year or less earlier delivery.  A thousand fold (1000x)
difference causes about a 21 year delay which is slightly longer
than I want to wait, but 7 years for a ten fold difference can
be acceptable.

    The second point on machine use of Lojban is simply: I
want Lojban for use by humans!!!  I don't want anything to
jeopardize that!

    (If researchers think that they can make computers understand
English, with all its nonsense, why should we have to cut corners
to have them understand Lojban.)

    On a side note (a very side note): I read the photocopy
of the newpaper article about the Lojban-only dinner party
and want to comment on some translations.  Of course there
was a problem with translating "hamburger", because it is really
"Hamburger".  For hints about its translation look to the
"Frankfurter", the "Manhattan" and the cheese "Danish".  The
popular American fast food entree is a sandwich in the style
of Hamburg as presented at the Hamburg Worlds Fair.  For a
descriptive translation: it is a patty in a bun; where a patty
is an individual portion sized meatloaf, and a bun is a variety
of roll which is an individual portion sized bread loaf.  The
meatloaf is made from shaping a serving of mediumly ground/chopped
meat, usually beef or beef plus others but also reasonably
venison, lamb, or even turkey.  The patty/meatloaf may also
contain: egg; breadcrumbs; chopped onion, garlic, and/or pepper;
and spices.  (I think at this point that the analysis is more
than detailed enough to come up with a better translation, and
I there will suspend it,  unless, of course, someone out there
wants more of this abuse.)