[lojban-beginners] Re: tanru/lujvo for [name] type of thing?

At 12:09 PM 2/10/03 +0100, Jan Pilgenroeder wrote:
I'v just been thinking about (someday) writing a short summary of Niklas Luhmann's Theory of Social Systems in Lojban. The Problem is: Luhmann redefines some common and very basic words. So it would be nice to mark them as being used in a Luhmann way. One way I figured would be to build a tanru with a loanwoard e.g. "saskrlumani cusku" or even shorter "saskrlu cusku", but this is not really beautiful and does not allow for lujvo building (or does it?).

It would make sense transfer Luhmann's terminology completely as fu'ivla (in many cases it would be nice to have a different place structure anyway), but I've been wondering if there is a different way.

BTW: how do you define place-structures for fu'ivla?

I need to say something like e.g.: "A Luhmann type-of Observation is the drawing of a distiction between two states and the marking of one of the states" and I would like the place structure to be X1= the operation of observing, X2= the marked state, X3= the unmarked state, X4= the observing system (a human mind or a communications-system e.g. science or an organisation). And it would be really nice to be able to build lujvo e.g. for "science-type-of-(Luhmann-type-of-observation)" or "self-referential-type-of-(Luhmann-type-of-observation)"

How could I do this in Lojban?

This is precisely what the "broda" series of gismu were included in the language for: specialized jargon that will not necessarily have any use outside of a particular context. We included rafsi for two of them to allow them to be used in specialized short-term lujvo.

At the beginning of the essay, you first define broda, in this case as
me la'o dot. Luhmann dot. cei broda (if you usually want a CVC rafsi for modifying, or brode if you usually want a CVV rafsi for final position)

and you now can use "broda", or "rod" in lujvo modification throughout the translation as a modifier to mean more or less "related to Luhmann".

There are no rules for place structures of fu'ivla. It would be good practice for a translator to include place structures for any that he coins, in a glossary (it would be a good idea for every writer to do so when he coins a lujvo as well).

lojbab

--
lojbab                                             lojbab@lojban.org
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA                    703-385-0273