[lojban-beginners] Re: (no subject)

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 03:26:59PM -0600, Daniel E Huston wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 3:13pm, melissa@fastanimals.com wrote:
> >On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Daniel E Huston wrote:
> >
> >re "mi dunda ma ko"
> >
> >> As a stage magician, this might be how I indicate to my volunteer
> >> to pick a card from those spread in my hand.
> >
> >But why would you use "ma" instead of the term for a card?  Does not
> >"ma" request the hearer to fill in its meaning?
> >

> Although Lojban allows one to phrase statements independent of
> context-- so far-- as a stage magician I would still use context.

Just for the record, those of us who have substantial conversation on
the IRC channel use context.  A *lot* of context.  More than we do in
English, I think, because there are less required things in a 'valid'
sentence in Lojban (tense, for example).

-Robin

--
Me: http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/  ***   I'm a *male* Robin.
"Constant neocortex override is the only thing that stops us all