[lojban-beginners] Re: bridi and jufra

On Tuesday, August 29, 2023 at 12:03:39 PM UTC+2 marcb...@gmail.com wrote:
I still do not understand the difference between bridi and jufra;
if I understand that bridi relates to propositions and jufra to sentences; I understand that a proposition is always a sentence but a sentence is not always a proposition; since interrogative, exhortative, desiderative and exclamative utterances cannot be propositions, since they cannto be affirmated or negated.

Am I right? Am I wrong?

So, were I right, the exercise: "Don't panic" should be only a jufra and not a jufra and a bridi.

First, the word {jufra} is not used a lot in the reference grammar.

https://la-lojban.github.io/uncll/romoi/xhtml_no_chunks/

Some of the examples from there:

zoi .kuot. Socrates is mortal .kuot. cu glico jufra
The-text Socrates is mortal   is-an-English sentence.

Thus {jufra} refers to the text, to the surface form of the language.
As for {bridi} is refers to the relation e.g.
"x1 panics because of x2" can be a possible relation in English.

"Don't panic" is a text.
That you panic is a relation.
To this bridi-relation you apply illocution power (a command) getting "Don't panic!".

There is also {brisni}, which roughly corresponds to what is called "sentence" in the formal grammar in chapter 21:
https://la-lojban.github.io/uncll/romoi/xhtml_section_chunks/chapter-grammars.html
{ko na xalni} is a sentence, a brisni.
brisni is a again a text, a surface form of the language,

What's the difference between brisni and jufra?
jufra = x1 (text) is a sentence/statement about  x2 [topic/subject/predicate/focus] in language x3.

As you can see from the example above  "jufra" can be even a statement/sentence not in Lojban. jufra can be very complex like "I know; but he knew it was a lie."
As of {brisni} is refers to a rule of the formal Lojban grammar (but might be boardly extended to some other languages).

When learning Lojban it's better to settle on the concept of bridi, brisni and other formal rules. The concept of jufra is of less importance in Lojban per se.