[lojban] Re: "The beautiful little dancer" in Lojban

Thank you for your many answers. So it seems I can write:

the gendered version

le melbi      ke cmalu ke nakni dansu
the beautiful (  small (  male  dancer)

le melbi      ke cmalu ke fetsi   dansu
the beautiful (  small (  female  dancer)

the gendered affix version

le melbi      ke cmalu nakydansu
the beautiful (  small male-dancer)

le melbi      ke cmalu fe'idansu
the beautiful (  small female-dancer)

But is there a semantic or pragmatic difference between "ke nakni dansu" and "nakydansu"?

What I mean is: under what circumstances would you choose the affixed rather than the non-affixed version?

Is is that using "ke nakni" would mean emphasizing on the gender?

I noticed that some of you use the particle je and others ke, what is the difference?

Thanks again,

Yannis

On Thursday, December 29, 2022 at 7:46:47 AM UTC+1 scope845h...@icebubble.org wrote:
"Mark E. Shoulson" <ma...@kli.org> writes:

> You can also work ninmu/nanmu or fetsi/nakni into the the description
> itself and not use a relative clause as gleki has done below.

I agree with Mark. I'd probably go with something like:
{le pa cmalu je melbi je ninmu dansu} and
{le pa cmalu je melbi je nanmu dansu}.

But in real-life Lojban, "the beautiful little dancer" would most likely
occur with an antecedent, i.e.:

{pa lo ninmu cu sanli le tsina}
A woman stands on the stage.
{.i logo'i noi cmalu je melbi cu dansu}
[it/she], which/who is small and beautiful, dances.

In such usage, the gender is indicated upon first mention, with the
description referring to the gendered antecedent. It might be clearer
to examine the Lojban translation of "a beautiful little dancer."